Course Overview and Objectives:
This is an introductory course about the psychology of persuasion and consumer behavior as they relate to marketing and advertising. Psychological concepts will be covered such as: perception, learning, memory, motivation, values, personality, attitudes, etc. Consumer behavior-related concepts will also be discussed such as: lifestyle, decision making, opinion leadership, income, social class, etc.
The goal is to provide students with a sound understanding of how advertising may impact consumers on a psychological level. This course has three main objectives. Using a psychological frame of reference, we will spend the semester exploring:
- The individual-level factors that influence consumer decision-making and behaviors
- The dynamics of individual consumer behavior when situated in small groups
- The larger social and cultural backdrop against which all consumer behavior is carried out
Click here to download syllabus.
Personal Consumption Journal:
- Part 1: handout_journal
- Part 2: handout_journal.2
- Part 3: handout_top 10 list
- Part 4: handout_ad analysis
- Four short essay questions: handout